When most people think about camping, they picture heading off into the woods for an isolated adventure, far from civilization. There is no need to go to all of that hassle when you can have a camping adventure right in your own backyard. Check out these backyard camping ideas for kids and families.
- Use the right gear to create an authentic camping experience. Pitching a tent, using actual sleeping bags, and relying on flashlights for lights can go a long way toward making the experience seem more authentic.
- Build a fire. Nothing creates the feeling of camping quite like a campfire. Of course, safety comes first. If you have a charcoal barbecue, try building a fire in your barbecue. You can also purchase or build a fire pit that you can use for roasting marshmallows and cooking hotdogs.
- Tell ghost stories around the fire. Telling ghost stories around the fire is a camping tradition that is worth introducing to your family. You can also try singing campfire songs together.
- Take a nature walk through your yard. Pick up interesting items like leaves, rocks, and twigs along the way. Help your kids turn the items that they find into artwork by gluing them to a piece of paper in a unique nature collage.
- Watch the stars. After the sun goes down, it is the perfect time to kick back and watch the stars. If possible, use a telescope to get a better view. Even if you don’t have one of your own, you may be able to rent one from a local shop. They are also relatively inexpensive to buy and are a lot of fun to own.
These backyard camping ideas should help you and your family have a fantastic adventure without ever having to leave home.